1996-09-19 - Banking over the net

Header Data

From: craigw@dg.ce.com.au
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e9b904b2cbc344819d40e5493053d165a047a5db18784749033a87d68f31b207
Message ID: <199609190520.PAA18516@mac.ce.com.au>
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:16:46 +0800

Raw message

From: craigw@dg.ce.com.au
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:16:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Banking over the net

     For some time several Australian Banks have been interested in
setting up online banking via the web. Currently the Commonwealth
Bank does have online banking, but on non-internetworked servers.
This requires an encrypted password.
     Currently this involves logging into the bank server directly
transfering the password, at which case the user has access to their
accounts. The unfortunate details are that the instructions for the
account are not sent encrypted. Apart from the initial password,
all data is sent plain text.
      There is likely to be implemented an inital web trial of this
service in December this year. Hopefully the security will be
upgraded a little. Where this is not likely is that the likely
canditate for encryption over the net is going to be 40bit netscape
(as what bank wants to go against the wishes of the US gov).
      The banks feel secure in that they are providing a 128bit
secured password to the customer via mail. This seems to be the end
of the security. While the average member of the public blindly
trusts the banks to keep them safe, and untill there is a user
friendly means of encrypting data (that the US government supports),
I can see alot of room for fraud.

        ,'~``.              \|/              ,'``~.
        (-o=o-)            (@ @)            ,(-o=o-),
+--.oooO--(_)--Ooo-----oOO-(_)-OOo-------oooO--(_)--Oooo.------+
|                                                              |
|   Soon, we may all be staring at our computers, wondering    |
|               whether they're staring back.                  |
|                                                              |
| [Network Admin For WPA Business Products.  aka doshai >;-) ] |
|    .oooO        http://pip.com.au/~doshai/      Oooo.        |
|    (   )   Oooo.                        .oooO   (   )        |
Key fingerprint = 2D F4 54 BB B4 EA F1 E7  B6 DE 48 92 FC 8D FF 49
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.
(if I want to give it to you)

Thread