1996-09-17 - Re: 56 kbps modems

Header Data

From: Steve Bryan <sbryan@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To: Jay Gairson <erp@digiforest.com>
Message Hash: f59116f09c8b313c941024a2407175b62d3368fad70b074a6d403073da5826a3
Message ID: <v03007801ae63b4a060c1@[204.221.10.210]>
Reply To: <9609161402.AA11975@srzts100.alcatel.ch>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-17 06:57:25 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:57:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Bryan <sbryan@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:57:25 +0800
To: Jay Gairson <erp@digiforest.com>
Subject: Re: 56 kbps modems

>Speaking of ISDN, how many people, can afford to have a personal ISDN
>line in there house?  And then afford to connect to something/someone
>else on a next to permanent basis monthly?

As I write this message I'm in the last day of my ISDN service for now.
When I was doing independent consulting work I installed ISDN at my office.
This was to facilitate connectivity to work in California from Minnesota.
After taking a job working for a company locally in Minneapolis I succumbed
to the temptation of installing ISDN at my home and moved my Combinet
router home. I won't deny that I'll be giving up considerable convenience
since the ISDN connection has the ability to come up quickly and
automatically as I send packets to external destinations (that's in theory,
your mileage can vary considerably). But the price per month is ridiculous
for the marginal improvement in connectivity I get over my U of M account
that only costs me about $100 per year. For the price I'm paying for ISDN
Internet connectivity I could buy 32 meg of memory or a gigabyte drive
every month.

The driving force in my decision is the continuing improvement in modem
speeds. When I started with ISDN, my modem speed was 9600 and plenty
finicky at that. Now you can get 33.6 modems for less than $200.

Steve Bryan
sbryan@gofast.net

Thread