1996-10-07 - Re: Clipper spin [was Re:Flood Warning]

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei@process.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 265c84e479a80c8200dc3a983dff47926f0a050aa2f50d3fdaa5b27b2db86fa7
Message ID: <199610071332.GAA08581@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 02:04:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei@process.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 02:04:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Clipper spin [was Re:Flood Warning]

> [...]
> >
> >   High-Tech Leaders Join Forces to Enable International
> >   Strong Encryption
> >
> >      See: http://www.ibm.com/news/alliance2.htm
>
> The "International Strong Encryption" phrase is something that we
> need to become active in stopping.  Anything which responds to such
> announcements should put a different spin on this phrase.  If the
> Clipper farce is accepted as "strong" encryption then the battle is
> lost; maybe something like "it is _international_ strong encryption
> because it is the strongest encryption people like Saddam Hussein [insert
> bogeyman du jour] want Americans to have access to"
>
> jim

Back when IBM/Lotus came out with it's "International" version, I
proposed the term 'espionage-enabled software'. I still like it.

Peter Trei
trei@process.com

Thread