1996-10-30 - Re: Sex, drugs, and libertarianism

Header Data

From: Steve Edwards <SAlanEd@concentric.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 26f20c387dc1cd4d13ed0d7a3a7b50b5f4e1936b44040cb64279f57d8f95f818
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961030143658.006a98a0@pop3.concentric.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 06:35:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Steve Edwards <SAlanEd@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 06:35:04 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Sex, drugs, and libertarianism

I urge people to think carefully about issues of morality, ethics, free
will, and the type of society we wish to have. People make choices every
day. To use or not to use drugs is just another choice.

--Tim May

True.  I agree that the war on drugs is useless, and that prohibiting
prostitution is even more mindless.  Still, the libertarian ideal seems even
worse.  Think about Thailand, where sex is bought and sold openly.  The AIDs
infection rate has gone from near zero to 2.5% in a couple of years, and
promises to devastate the whole country. Burmese kids are sold into sex
slavery.   Is this the future?  People make choices every day, but few
people make INFORMED choices, and a lot of people, believe it or not, have
very little choice.  They are caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

SAlanEd@concentric.net, SAlanEd@aol.com,
http://users.aol.com/salaned/cyberplace.html

"Life, he himself said once, (his biografiend, in fact, kills him verysoon,
if yet not, after) is a wake, livit or krikit, and on the bunk of our
breadwinning, lies the cropse of our seedfather..."

Thread