1996-10-23 - Re: Blue Box Plans & hacker bbs’s

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 41c856b3446e3ed92b1abe61483b9ad4925a6bbc6a0b52be3857d42b440457db
Message ID: <199610230813.BAA16948@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:13:58 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Blue Box Plans & hacker bbs's

As Black Unicorn said, this is not alt.2600.

>> Oh yeah I forgot one thing.  What do you mean by NPA and why cant i just
>> dial like a regualr call??  And what is a DMTF dialer?
>> >Bell payphone (CoCoTs and USWest phones do not work) and dial
>> >"1+area+npa+number", like a normal call. Then play the tones. For a
>> >local call, dial "10288+area+npa+number", which makes AT&T think it's along
>NPA: Numbering Plan Area - known to us humans as area codes; instituted
>circa 1947 for long distance dialing.

Phone numbers in the US look like CountryCode-NPA-NXX-XXXX, where
CountryCode=1, NPA is the Numbering Plan Area, N is 2..9, and X is 0..9.
NPAs used to look like N0X or N1X, and exchange codes used to look like
NNX, and the not-very-powerful computers in old telephone switches
could tell a long-distance call from a local call by translating on the
first three digits.  Switches are smarter now, and the number space
is filling up, so exchange codes and NPA both look like NXX.

>Also - find as many back-issues of 2600 (a print publication) and Phrack
>(an on-line publication [text files]) as you possibly can.  Memorize
>them and you will be on your way to becoming a phone phreak!

Memorizing Stuff still leaves you a Clueless Newbie.  Learn Stuff.
Understand Stuff.  Do New Stuff.  (Not that memorizing hurts, of course...)

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk
  Imagine if three million people voted for somebody they _knew_,
  and the politicians had to count them all.

Thread