1996-10-31 - Shift Control’s new look

Header Data

From: the.news@shiftcontrol.com
To: N/A
Message Hash: 465750f3dc20ef1c654283aaaeeddc3b5dbb69ea5084d73f9977b51f39023bb6
Message ID: <199610312118.VAA24283@faust.guardian.co.uk>
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:20:08 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: the.news@shiftcontrol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:20:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Shift Control's new look

Shift Control has a new look this week. It's out with the old red, black
and white, and in with a distinctly tasteful blue and cream. And the
change in colours is just the start. We've listened to the feedback we've
had about the site, and made it quicker and easier to access and read.

The content, of course, is as good as ever. In Critical Shift, William
Leith asks what has happened to our heroes. "We don't want heroes
anymore," he writes, "because we think we've failed as a race. We are
hungry for stories which tell us about how nasty and greedy and
self-destructive we are, because this is what we believe. We don't fall
for a nice, smiling man who is nice to people. We wonder what he's hiding."

In Write Out of Control, we have three new pieces of writing. There's the
next exclusive (and  rather shocking) instalment of Toby Litt's novel,
'1/2'. We also have the first winner of our White Out of Control
competition. Not only can you read it, but you can also write the sequel
and win £200. And, in 'Large', Nick Green describes an awesome summer of
pills and thrills on the festival scene.

"The first event of the summer," he writes, "saw me at my most
ineffectual, having been rendered completely useless by what can only be
described as 'a lethal drugs cocktail'. I didn't realise that a seemingly
harmless combination of acid, speed, Ecstasy and skunk could be quite so
debilitating."

In Plug n Play we bring you an interior design special - From Habitat to
Hell and Back - and Fags-u-like, in which our special panel of cigarette
connoisseurs smoke their way through several packs of fags in order to
tell you which are the best.

We've also changed our weekly diary. Instead of Roland bragging about his
hyperactive social life, he now presents you with 10 essential cultural
happenings for the week ahead. Gigs, clubs, movies and books - they're
all in Roland's diary.

Yes, you'd be mad not to visit www.shiftcontrol.com this week.

Regards,

The Shift Control Team

Shift Control is produced by the Guardian New Media Lab, with help from
Stella Artois and Boddingtons.

Thread