1996-10-03 - Censorship?

Header Data

From: camcc@abraxis.com
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 4a3fb744fea6207bebfd6b13b31e842c1773397d98a7454d137f66feafe4aca0
Message ID: <2.2.32.19961002210921.00673cb4@smtp1.abraxis.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:34:38 +0800

Raw message

From: camcc@abraxis.com
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:34:38 +0800
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Censorship?

What say ye??

:From: Zimm2@gnn.com (Zimm2)
:Newsgroups: alt.security.pgp
:Subject: Cypherpunks engaged in censorship?
:Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 08:39:50
:
:It has come to my attention that Cypherpunks no longer allows users of
:Microsoft browsers to access their archives.
:
:Is it contradictory for an organization who proclaims an interest in the free
:exchange of ideas through the mechanism of the Internet to limit the exchange
:of ideas using an individual's software decisions as the criteria?
:
:Are issues of annonymity and privacy and the encouragement of private use of
:powerful encryption and remailer tools secondary to and less important than a
:crusade against a software manufacturer?
:
:Should corporate users of the Internet or individuals unable to access the
:Internet through any other means than corporate or public computers be denied
:access to information because the computer owner insists on a particular, and
:freely chosen software package?
:
:Will the Internet continue in the direction of propagating propaganda or will
:the original rule of releasing all information to the public and letting the
:public decide be the rule of the Internet?
:
:I, of course, know my own feelings on these issues but want to know how far
:out of the pale I am.
:

Thread