1996-10-17 - RE: USPS electronic postmark

Header Data

From: “James A. Tunnicliffe” <Tunny@inference.com>
To: “‘Jonathan Litt’” <littlitt@MIT.EDU>
Message Hash: 4b489038ef566012592dda58d21f6f2fe5111bfa0ad61f96e8cdbf65449c9126
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=Inference%l=LANDRU-961017151804Z-1783@landru.novato.inference2.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-10-17 15:27:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 08:27:37 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "James A. Tunnicliffe" <Tunny@inference.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 08:27:37 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Jonathan Litt'" <littlitt@MIT.EDU>
Subject: RE: USPS electronic postmark

>Jonathan Litt[SMTP:littlitt@MIT.EDU] wrote:
>Today I was at the Internet Expo in Boston and I sent myself a
>postmarked email from the USPS booth. It is enclosed below for all to
>scrutinize.
>[...snip...]
>I will also paraphrase something that was said by one of the people at
>the booth:
>
>  "We always send the message itself as an attachment. The message that
>  you see at first shows the postmark, and warns you not to open the
>  attachment if you are not the intended recipient. Just as with normal
>  mail, it is a federal crime to double click on the attachment to view
>  the contents of the message if the message is not for you."
>[...snip...]
>As stated above, here is the message in its entirety, exactly as it
>arrived in my mailbox. Below that is the base64 decoded for your
>convenience.

(Official USPS warning:)
>[...]If you are not the intended
>recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, dissemination,
>distribution, or copying of this message is prohibited.
>
>Only littlitt@mit.edu may view the enclosed message.
[...unauthorized federally-protected not-for-your-eyes message
deleted...]