1996-10-04 - “Mormon Asshole?” re: GAK

Header Data

From: “John C. Randolph” <jcr@idiom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 50ca6879b6e6c68d58db27ba17564f1b660dac47e0f56b46e4a5a7fd3368ac67
Message ID: <199610041936.MAA29441@idiom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 06:20:58 +0800

Raw message

From: "John C. Randolph" <jcr@idiom.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 06:20:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Mormon Asshole?" re: GAK

Attilla Says:

>but what inflames the anti-mormon passions the most is the
>paid clergy of other organized religions whose employment is
>the paid ministry to their flock.  Mormons threaten their jobs;
>the mormons have no paid ministry; it is all part of our
>"callings" to do the Lord's work.

Well, speaking as one who has occasionally been called anti-mormon
(although, I'm *really* not that specific!) The only time I feel
any anti-mormon "passion" is when I want to throttle one of your
missionaries.  I like sleeping in, and being awakened by a kid who
wants me to join a religion is really offensive.

If the LDS church would just give up this damnable proselytizing,
I'd find you no more objectionable than the Tibetan Buddhists (whom
I actually hold in rather high regard, although they're never going
to convert me either!)

-jcr

PS:  I do think it's a Good Thing that mormons don't pay the clergy.
One positive for LDS.  Did you pick up that idea from the Ba'ha'i?

Thread