1996-10-12 - Re: SPA sues C2, other ISPs and users

Header Data

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 5629ed50f1045e660bd6ffec9a00b76da08b638a7bf734652fde6f35498af43e
Message ID: <3.0b28.32.19961012125407.00772780@ricochet.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:47:54 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: SPA sues C2, other ISPs and users

At 10:48 AM 10/12/96 -0400, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>At 02:12 PM 10/11/96 -0700, Greg Broiles wrote:
>>
>>It's inappropriate to expect Sameer or any other C2
>>employee/agent/representative to discuss the suit before they've had a
>>chance to find and meet with an attorney; in some circumstances it might
>>never be prudent for them to make a public statement about the suit.
>
>Is this good advice?  When attacked, isn't it good to offer as strong a
>defense as possible including (but not limited to) verbal abuse, physical
>confrontations, countersuits, standing outside people's houses, picketing,
>letters, public appearances, urging other people to express their views,
>etc.

After considering everything carefully, yeah, it's probably good to make a
strong statement disputing the essentials of the suit. But given the
counterintuitive nature of contributory infringement, it's also probably
good to think carefully about what to say, when. I wasn't trying to tell
Sameer what to do - just trying to make it clear that it's normal for him
to take a few days or longer to say anything. I'm sure the SPA's press
release was cleared by their legal people - it was probably prepared before
the suits were even filed.

--
Greg Broiles                |  "We pretend to be their friends,
gbroiles@netbox.com         |   but they fuck with our heads."

Thread