1996-10-11 - Forged “unsubscribe”

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 58a67715ae7d7f4582ab90bc39244b1a2fab70b68b5e712106f22dccd1462b8f
Message ID: <v03007800ae847e9144ef@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:43:34 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 14:43:34 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

Though I am avoiding commenting on the continuing Vulis nonsense, something
has come up which necessitates my comment.

I received a message from majordomotoad.com saying that my
(alleged/purported) message, "unsubscribe cypherpunks dlv@bwalk.dm.com", is
being forwarded for processing. The full message is included below.

It appears that someone is attempting to make it look like I am trying to
unsubscribe Dmitri Vulis! I assure you all that I have sent no such message
to majordomo@toad.com.

I'm cc:ing Hugh Daniel to make sure he sees this. Perhaps he can look at
the full headers and path information of the alleged message from me and
figure out who is playing this kind of game.

--Tim May

>Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
>To: tcmay@got.net
>From: Majordomo@toad.com
>
>--
>
>Your request of Majordomo was:
>
>has been forwarded to the owner of the "cypherpunks" list for approval.
>This could be for any of several reasons:
>
>    You might have asked to subscribe to a "closed" list, where all new
>	additions must be approved by the list owner.
>
>    You might have asked to subscribe or unsubscribe an address other than
>	the one that appears in the headers of your mail message.
>
>When the list owner approves your request, you will be notified.
>
>If you have any questions about the policy of the list owner, please
>contact "cypherpunks-approval@toad.com".
>

>Thanks!
>
>Majordomo@toad.com

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.