1996-10-22 - Re: Comments on binding cryptography (1)

Header Data

From: “Bert-Jaap Koops” <E.J.Koops@kub.nl>
To: Dale Thorn <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5ed65dca68aa18c9692ea72d38380911b6aa9653a249757df0749f57aa83380d
Message ID: <869FB0F2C3B@frw3.kub.nl>
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 01:04:53 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Bert-Jaap Koops" <E.J.Koops@kub.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 01:04:53 -0700 (PDT)
To: Dale Thorn <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Comments on binding cryptography (1)

For the last time I react on these (political) issues, and then I will gladly
return to business. Our views should be clear by now.

> So Bert, let's just call a spade a spade, eh?  Since you readily agree
> that organized criminals probably won't use binding crypto,
I agree.

> and that
> TRP's will probably leak our info to spy "agencies" and so on,
I don't agree.

> it's public knowledge that the Justice Dept. does this sort of thing
> here, so knowing that, are you still suggesting we trust them, simply
> because you trust your government?
I am not suggesting anything of the kind.

I suggested we had a difference of opinion, and I can very well live
with that. It's a matter for you to decide in the States, and for us
to decide in the Netherlands/Europe. My only concern is that measures
we take are compatible with foreign measures (mark compatible, not
the same), and that the US is not pushing foreign states into measures
they don't really want to take.

I suggest you try and read what people write first, instead of skimming
through a message and jumping to conclusions.

Bert-Jaap

Thread