1996-10-23 - Re: OTP

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: 6fa5817a50872b68e72d2470e0f1849f9878c8c6461090b534e4f8b8d5e4ca5b
Message ID: <846082070.4964.0@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:49:53 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: OTP

> Where do these idiots come from and why do they end up on this mailing list?

I have asked myself the same question many a time when reading your
inane and witless postings

> > > Can you explain to me how your one time pad algorithm is any better than
> > > encryption something with, say, RC4 or any other cipher using a key that
> > > is the same length as the seed for your PRNG?
> >
> > Well for a start there is no possible cryptanalytic (rather than
> > brute force) attack on a one time pad, the system can be
> > mathematically proven to be secure with a very simple bit of
> > statistics.

The proof is intuitive, if there is equal or greater entropy in the
pad as there is in the message and the pad is used in a proper OPT
fashion (never repeating) there is no way to determine the correct
decryption, as simple as that doctor fuckup.

As for when I said brute force, fault admitted, I was probably
thinking about a stream cipher or something, as you know as well as
me (or probably don`t as you know nothing about cryptography) there
is no concept of a brute force attack on an OTP as there are many
correct decryptions for different pads.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/
      Email for PGP public key, ID: 5BBFAEB1