1996-10-02 - Re: active practice in America [RANT]

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “Marc J. Wohler” <mwohler@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 709b1bb85d7ef01ec7a83b3ce4fa8e30be9a6da4bc359b5f82bc361599159a14
Message ID: <3251E6B3.398C@gte.net>
Reply To: <199610011619.JAA24481@dfw-ix10.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-02 06:58:01 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 14:58:01 +0800

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 14:58:01 +0800
To: "Marc J. Wohler" <mwohler@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: active practice in America [RANT]

Marc J. Wohler wrote:
> At 11:19 PM 9/30/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >I'm glad you asked.  I wouldn't pretend to have *the* answer, but rather
> >than screw around with basic Constitutional enumerations, I think the
> >"authorities" should have had the guts to challenge those cases (at
> >least the most obvious ones at first, to get the ball rolling), by
> >investigating and declaring mistrials based on some kind of jury
> >manipulation which showed bad faith on the part of the locals.

> Theory sounds great, but what if, as often was the case, the
> "authorities" were the major part of the problem.

I presume heirarchical authority.  That's what we had in the U.S., even
in the 1960's.  The specific authorities running bogus juries were
generally county-level.  One could argue that the states, and by
extension the feds, looked the other way as long as they could, and
indeed they did.

Once they could no longer look the other way, those higher-level
authorities should have proceeded against the local governments as I
specified, rather than undermining the Constitutional enumerations.

If there should happen to be a good argument that the feds and states
couldn't proceed against the locals because these higher-level
authorities were somehow compromised (other than general scumbagness),
I'd like to know how.

Thread