1996-10-19 - Re: Crypto: Systems & Application Developers Wanted

Header Data

From: “Bob Denny” <rdenny@[38.248.4.2]>
To: “Mark O. Aldrich” <maldrich@grci.com>
Message Hash: 75909119e1e76f8941c6f35e01a60df5cd0eff49fc338d7a5c93b4903761a25c
Message ID: <9610190913.ZM-78249@r1830.dc3.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SCO.3.93.961015185241.9275C-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-19 17:32:47 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 10:32:47 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Bob Denny" <rdenny@[38.248.4.2]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 10:32:47 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com>
Subject: Re: Crypto: Systems & Application Developers Wanted

Mark and friends -

I just returned from the Internet Expo in Boston, at which the NSA had a booth
where they were pushing the FORTEZZA card. Some interesting things (at least
to me):

* Netscape has a working prototype of their browser and server that uses
  FORTEZZA for encryption

* There are three (or 4??) companies building FORTEZZA cards, including
  National Semi (the only one I recognized).

* The NSA guy I talked to said that they planned to market a "token card"
  that uses RSA/DES, instead of Skipjack and friends, "sometime next year".

  -- Bob

"Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com> wrote:
> Uh, excuse me, but doesn't SPYRUS in fact market a Fortezza card?  The
> very same card being used by the Evil Empire to spread diseased and impure
> so-called "cryptography" (with GAK permanently embedded into it) to the
> uninformed minions?

Thread