1996-10-03 - Re: FUCK!!!!!!;-) The Book

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 76469aa7a204c6e35f41edbc56daa74b5388b0338f6a23286ad6cc67c5284f0e
Message ID: <199610031531.PAA04824@pipe2.ny1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 04:38:19 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 04:38:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FUCK!!!!!!;-) The Book

   A new book, "Digital Soldiers," by James F. Dunnigan,
   emphasizes that information warfare -- deceiving the
   enemy -- is as old as war, and that the PR-driven media
   today work closely with the warfighting industry to
   protect their mutually lucrative markets.

   The latest GAK PR campaign fits this.

   Dunnigan also makes hash of the recent opportunistic
   "infowar" PR, along with adept grinding of the vast,
   corrupt high-tech defense industry worldwide, led by the
   US war-prognosticating PR-media-policy lizards. As he
   says, bad news is always good news for the Hearsts and
   Rasputins (Responsible Personages), for the liars of
   brimstone religion, for all the terrifying doomsayers
   peddling trust-my-god: me, now tithe or be taxed.

   Dunnigan's sermon: stop the pork, then there will be
   plenty of resources to deal with the rest of society's
   ills. Otherwise, peace, real or vitural, is war,
   sustained barbarity camouflaged by self-interested
   civility -- the peacefighting, ticket-punching officer,
   er, journalist, class.

   Digital Soldiers
   The Evolution of High-Tech Weaponry and Tomorrow's Brave
   New Battlefield

   James F. Dunnigan
   St. Martin's Press, New York; $25.95
   ISBN 0-312-14588-8