1996-10-25 - Fw: Area Code 809 Carribean Phone Scam

Header Data

From: “Michael T. Babcock” <mbabcock@tyenet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7f21d34ad1a50ed523c0b2edbc186eb0e3386c6c7b7e25d7bd79a1055ad70384
Message ID: <199610251512.LAA02381@spirit.hks.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:14:46 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock@tyenet.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 08:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Fw: Area Code 809 Carribean Phone Scam

To: cypherpunks@hks.net
Date: Fri Oct 25 11:13:26 1996
>> Just a heads-up about a current scam concerning numbers with "809" area
>> codes.... spread the word!
>>
>> BE CAREFUL! This is a fraudulent message received the other day.
>>
>> "Subject: Unpaid Account
>>
>> I am writing to give you a final 24 hours to settle your outstanding
>> account.  If I have not received the settlement in full, I will commence
>> legal proceedings without further delay.  If you would like to discuss
this
>> matter to avoid court action, call Mike Murray at Global Communications
on
>> 1-809-496-2700"
>>

>> Subject: More Phone Scams
>>
>> The scam works basically like this:
>>
>> You get home and notice that the message light is blinking on your
answering
>> machine.  You listen to the message, which has several wrinkles, but the
>> best one is the caller asks you to call a number beginning with Area
Code
>> 809 to receive information about a family member who has been ill.
(They
>> may also tell you someone has been arrested, died, you have won a
wonderful
>> prize, etc.)
>>
>> In any event, concerned or curious, you make the call.
>>
>> Sometimes the phone is answered by someone who claims to speak broken
>> English.  (The idea is to keep you on the line to build up charges.)
Or,
>> sometimes you will just get a long recorded message.  The bottom line
is,
>> when your phone bill comes, you see this incredible charge, oftentimes
more
>> than $100.00!
>>
>> Crooks are using the 809 numbers as "pay-per-calls" and to get around
the US
>> Regulations and 900 number blocking.  Every time you call the number,
they
>> get a greatly inflated rebate from the foreign phone company.  Since 809
>> numbers are in the Caribbean, they aren't bound by the US 900#
regulations
>> that require them to warn you of the charge and the rate involved, and
also
>> a time period during which you may terminate the call without being
charged.

>> The newest twist to this scam is to page people using the 809 numbers.
With
>> the new area code changes, people unknowingly are returning these calls.
>> When the bill comes, there are HUGE charges for the calls.
>>
>> My suggestion is that no matter how you get the message, if you are
asked to
>> call a number with an 809 area code that you don't recognize, DON'T
RETURN
>> THE CALL!  It is bad enough that the criminal is invading your privacy,
>> don't let them invade your wallet as well!
>>
>> Scams of this type are extremely hard to prosecute and since you did
>> actually make the call, neither your local phone company or your long
>> distance carrier will want to get involved.  They'll tell you that they
are
>> simply providing the billing for the foreign company.  You end up trying
>> deal (over the phone) with a foreign phone company that feels they have
done
>> no wrong.  It can turn into a real nightmare!
>>
>> Please fwd this message to friends and let people be aware of it!

Message courtesy Michael T. Babcock
http://www.cyberbeach.net/~mbabcock

Send a message with subj. SEND PUBLIC KEY for PGP KEY.

- ---
signature and forwarded.]

Thread