1996-10-23 - Chinese Gold Bar Mystery

Header Data

From: John Young <jy@jya.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9eb19cdb296cdbbd01c6b12cad27a4ceef3b43decb914139e631629cd2ac40c4
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961023162835.00691738@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: John Young <jy@jya.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:29:41 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Chinese Gold Bar Mystery

http://www.iacr.org/~iacr/china/china.html

Cryptograms on Gold bars from China

The following mystery was brought to IACR by the
curator of a museum in the US. I don't have the
complete story, but it seems that seven gold bars
were allegedly issued to a General Wang in Shanghai,
China, in 1933. These gold bars appear to represent
metal certificates related to a bank deposit with
a U.S. Bank. The gold bars themselves have pictures,
Chinese writing, some form of script writing, and
cryptograms in latin letters.

Not surprisingly, there is a dispute concerning the
validity of the claim for the deposit. It may
help to resolve the dispute if someone can decipher
the cryptograms on the bars. Nobody has yet
put for the a theory as to their meaning. I am also
unable to recognize the script writing. The
Chinese writing has been translated, and discusses a
transaction in excess of $300,000,000. It also refers
to these gold bars which weigh a total of 1.8 kilograms.

To assist in your investigation, I have compiled the
cryptograms and their arrangements. Below are images
of the bars, available in two sizes. The ones shown
here are about 20K each, and clicking on any of them
will download a larger version (about 200K). The gold
bars were photographed against a blue or green
background that appears around some edges.

Unfortunately, neither I nor IACR can provide any
further information regarding this. If you are
seriously interested in trying to solve the mystery,
I advise you to contact one of the following
individuals:

     Bin J. Tao
     15475 Rochlen St.
     Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
     USA
     Telephone and fax: (818) 333-6125

     Peter Bisno
     Law Offices of Bisno and Samberg
     201 South Lake Avenue
     Suite 411
     Pasadena, CA 91101-3016
     USA
     Telephone: (818) 585-8899
     Fax: (818) 585-1899

[14 images of golden cryptograms; some appear to show a
bearded, pony-tailed cryptoanarchist]

prepared by Kevin McCurley

-----

Thread