1996-10-27 - Re: Merc: PacBell predicts imminent death of the net; film at 11

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ae94b6c2122e9c67f62f2b08b47f4e5c2ccecdc55a97ae027dc0ff6c243955f0
Message ID: <199610272222.OAA00395@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:22:13 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 14:22:13 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Merc: PacBell predicts imminent death of the net; film at 11

At 10:47 PM 10/26/96 -0500, Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com> wrote:
>I caught an interview on the BBC last night with a representative from
>PacBell, who claimed that this subsidy resulted in ISPs actively
>discouraging customers from using data service (ISDN) instead of POTS.

For those of you not in PacBell territory, PacBell really misunderstood
the Internet access market when they set their current rates.
ISDN costs $X/month (about 2-3 x POTS) plus (daytime) per-minute charges
of 4 cents, (nighttime 7pm-7am) free.  (This probably requires that
your ISP have Centrex access in your local calling area.)
What they didn't realize was that computer people think
"It's free at night" means "It's free at night", so they dial up and stay on.
(Many of us non-ISDN users do the same with POTS, of course.)

ISDN call setup times are fast enough that it's possible to
do IP support that tears down calls after X seconds of non-use
and sets them up again when there's traffic, which is practical
since you don't have 30 seconds of modem retraining time per setup.
If PacBell's really bugged enough about usage patterns, they could
go write a good Winsock package to support it themselves
and give it away free to ISDN customers....

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk
  Imagine if three million people voted for somebody they _knew_,
  and the politicians had to count them all.

Thread