1996-10-29 - Re: First Union Ahead of Curve with Sun’s “JavaStation”

Header Data

From: Lawrence.Hughes@Software.com (Lawrence Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bd7f66d5a1856dd1f00dee8a5bd2e6cf5dd52e43cd9be984bd4f8d71edf6d69f
Message ID: <3.0b26.32.19961029143328.00a26b30@pop-sb.software.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:34:12 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Lawrence.Hughes@Software.com (Lawrence Hughes)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:34:12 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: First Union Ahead of Curve with Sun's "JavaStation"

At 11:30 AM 10/28/96 -0800, you wrote:
>When Sun Microsystems unveils today what it is touting as a radical advance
>in business computing, First Union Corp. will be in the vanguard of those
>adopting it.

Dunno - sounds to me like an act of desperation that is at least 99.44%
hype, from a company that has refused to acknowledge that the UNIX
market is crashing even as we speak. While I was Intergraph HQ in
1989-1993, we saw projections of that coming demise from IDC, etc.
Which had a lot to do with the big switch there to Intel/NT.

Especially love the way they don't figure the price of any of those
"fat $ervers" (from guess what California company) into the overall
costs.... seems to be mostly a way to dupe folks into shifting funds
from all those wonderful, independence granting PCs into paying for
it-was-good-enough-for-my-dad-it's-good-enough-for-me big iron at
the center, with dumb terminals (no matter what you call 'em) tethered
to it. And $1500 is a lot for a dumb terminal.

And that dazzling array of nearly 500 craplets.. I mean Java apps...
that's sure a lot of eye candy, but I'd hate to try to run a business
with them.

Get real. No one, including a badly aging Sun, will ever put the
distributed computing genie back in the "glass house" bottle that
PC's allowed us to escape from DECADES ago.

 Lawrence E. Hughes                      Software.com, Inc.
 Principal Software Engineer             525 Anacapa Street
 Email: Lawrence.Hughes@Software.com     Santa Barbara 93101
 805-882-2470 x259 Fax: 805-882-2473     People's Republic of California

www.software.com - purveyors of fine Internet Infrastructure to the trade

"Those who would order the life of their nation must first set about ordering
their home life" - Kung Fu Tse (Confucius), roughly 500 BC

Thread