1996-10-04 - Re: Export laws don’t just affect crypto

Header Data

From: Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
To: “shamrock@netcom.com>
Message Hash: da0bca759f3f45e7f164849ffc196249aac3d627e77134676eff595ebe3b04f2
Message ID: <19961004020539265.AAA223@GIGANTE>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:33:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Adamsc@io-online.com (Adamsc)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:33:29 +0800
To: "shamrock@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Export laws don't just affect crypto

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996 00:05:16 -0700 (PDT), Lucky Green wrote:

>The recent posts about GPS made me research the state of the art of GPS
>receivers. Seems they are getting pretty good. Two pounds, sub-meter
>accuracy, attitude determination, all at altitudes up to 60,000 feet and
>speeds up to 1,000 nmph. But what really caught my eye was the fine print
>at the bottom of the spec sheet:
>
>"Higher altitude and velocities up to 25,000 nautical miles-per-hour
>options are available in the U.S."
>
>I gather from this that as long as you are in the US, you are welcome to
>use this technology for applications that require larger than 1,000 nmph
>speeds.
>
>Seems the software industry is not the only industry that's suffering
>from silly export control laws.

Possibly  - certainly there are plenty of legislators who'd do it.   I'd
heard, however, that the precision of your signal could be increased by
getting a fix on more than 3 satellites at a time - and that the GPS network
had been designed to 'blanket' the Northern Hemisphere.

#  Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com>   | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
#  <cadams@acucobol.com>		 | send mail with subject "send PGPKEY"
"That's our advantage at Microsoft; we set the standards and we can change them."
   --- Karen Hargrove, Microsoft (quoted in the Feb 1993 Unix Review editorial)

Thread