1996-10-18 - Re: Production of ALPHACIPHER Snake Oil Cancelled!

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: db8e4cc9f03cf5ea70f6568722903e5212d7e6d42cc3f708fb59d01492c95f22
Message ID: <v03007805ae8cd05a889d@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199610180358.UAA07899@big.aa.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-18 05:06:20 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:06:20 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:06:20 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Production of ALPHACIPHER Snake Oil Cancelled!

At 9:11 PM -0700 10/17/96, ! Drive wrote:
>This may have already been posted, but I found it interesting...
>
>from: http://www.aa.net/cyber-survival-hq/
>
>     Development of the ALPHACIPHER product line has been voluntarily
>cancelled
>due to the possibility of
>                 non-compliance of users of ALPHACIPHER with the new key
>escrow
>law.

And just which _law_ might that be? Care to name an Act? Or even a Bill?

Come to think of it, just what the hell is "Alphacipher," and why should we
care?

>        ALPHACIPHER currently has no built-in key generation function, and the
>proposed release of an
> ALPHACIPHER key generator has been terminated. All purchasers of ALPHACIPHER
>are entitled to a complete
>                               refund, and this has already been done.

Were there any actual purchasers?

>         The New ADFGVX cipher is still offered for sale, as it is a breakable
>cipher, at least in theory.

Ah, yes, now I understand. Sounds like just a new marketing ploy for the
same old snake oil.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.