1996-10-07 - Re: NYT Nix GAK [RANT]

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law” <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
Message Hash: e4e21e5b65107d778a9e418c2ec43f16d99e661d926dcf3dfdbe72b0fb45b856
Message ID: <325866F6.6438@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.95.961006141247.22865F-100000@viper.law.miami.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-07 04:08:51 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 12:08:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 12:08:51 +0800
To: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@law.miami.edu>
Subject: Re: NYT Nix GAK [RANT]

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Dale Thorn wrote inter alia:
> > Now, for those folks who oppose the personal ownership of firearms, or
> > at least "really dangerous" firearms, I'd like to know exactly what's
> > the difference (in principle) between the above "...high-quality
> > encryption widely available so that the private sector can protect
> > itself from criminal or...", and making firearms widely available?

> The difference is obvious: crypto does not put holes in people.

Excuse me for saying this, but the above simplistic statement is no more
valid than saying "...but I only drove the car, I didn't shoot the bank
teller...", or, "...I only built the plant that made the V2 rockets, I
didn't fire any...", or, "I support my local police (who shoot people
sometimes), but I don't believe in killing.", and so on.

Thread