1996-10-14 - FLY_not

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e6b38c6c75fdd1e5656e802f50e5ada24e664a2544793eadecae5a0c073e6185
Message ID: <1.5.4.16.19961014133038.350f81cc@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 06:32:21 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 06:32:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: FLY_not

   10-13-96. CoWo:

   "Encryption confusion"

      Reminded of the secret Clipper algorithm, I sought
      details from IBM. I asked a spokeswoman why the company
      hadn't just put out a nice, snappy white paper
      explaining its new approach to key recovery. "We spent
      three months trying to do that, quite literally," the
      spokeswoman said. "It's pretty confusing stuff, and
      whenever we get it on paper, we aren't happy with it."

   10-12-96. InWe:

   "IBM Coalition May Not Fly" [Thanks, WR]

      "The relaxation on encryption is in many ways an
      extortion of industry," said Bob Gargus, president of
      the Atalla. "If this starts to happen for export, how
      many companies will be able to support two standards? I
      think every American should be worried." But Greg Simon,
      domestic policy adviser to Vice President Al Gore, said,
      "We're not looking for an answer that's universally
      popular. We're looking for a solution that's balanced
      and fair."

   10-11-96. RDSN:

   "Bellcore Theory Affects Security"

      "Future applications, some theorize, that work on smart
      cards might work on your Pentium PC," says William Barr.
      Most smart cards use private key encryption, such as DES
      and RSA, making it all the more unlikely that Bellcore's
      theory would work on smart cards. However, the threat
      still should be investigated because the intention
      eventually is to use public key encryption for wireless
      communications and identification validation.

   "ABA: Banks Should Issue Cards"

      Only deposit institutions should issue smart cards, says
      the American Bankers Association.

   -----

   http://jya.com/flynot.txt

   ftp://jya.com/pub/incoming/flynot.txt