1996-10-08 - Re: Best-of-Crypto (was:this list is a joke)

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: “I~nigo Gonzalez” <nexus@adv.es>
Message Hash: eb743b24b9338feee61a08281990f205b9220dc130d1c6d7ad9a2092629b930e
Message ID: <v03007815ae7f601fb8ff@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3258D4CA.2456@adv.es>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-08 05:38:06 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 13:38:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 13:38:06 +0800
To: "I~nigo Gonzalez" <nexus@adv.es>
Subject: Re: Best-of-Crypto (was:this list is a joke)

At 12:00 PM +0200 10/7/96, I~nigo Gonzalez wrote:

>Maybe we can build here (at adv.es) a Best-Of-Crypto mailing list...
>with the _same_ spirit we have now Best-Of-Security...
>I mean technical, relevant postings...
>
>Any comments ???

Go for it! Let us know when you have it ready.

(I assume you were not just idly insulting the list, as is so common these
days, and expecting that your "Best of" list would emerge.)

By the way, at least two such "best of" compilations exist, one by Eric
Blossom, and one by Ray Arachelian.

Something I've noticed about many of these "This list is not helpful to
me--I want it to discuss the stuff I'm interested in!" whinings and
moanings is that they often come from people who I've never heard of, or at
least who do not appear to ever get involved. Perhaps they're new to the
list, found it was not what they wanted, and thus they should simply
unsubscribe, not whine about it not being what they wanted.

Or perhaps they're longterm subscribers who just never have anything to
say, but who then add their "me toos" to KOTM Vulis' babblings.

In any case, the list is what people make of it. There is no magic wand, no
moderator, no editor to solicit interesting articles. The key lies in
people developing ideas and then writing about them.

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.