1996-10-29 - Re: When did Mondex ever claim to be anonymous?

Header Data

From: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f091fbecb6f95a5388acc8ab4a8bbddebf43764fc02562691ab681ba53179413
Message ID: <Pine.HPP.3.91.961029010401.17479B-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
Reply To: <3274B5A7.2781@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-29 08:23:02 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 00:23:02 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 00:23:02 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: When did Mondex ever claim to be anonymous?

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, R.J.Blakemore wrote:

> As for the Bank, they get details on the item the student has purchased,
> purchase location (the building and exact 'Mondex point' in the bar/shop
> where the transaction took place), the exact time and date the
> transaction was carried out, together with (obviously) the name and ID
> of the purchaser, etc.

And you all accept this without complaining? (Not you personally,
since you obviously are complaining, at least on this list.)
Aren't students supposed to be rebellious?

> As far as the card is concerned, we need it to enter all of our student
> facilities.  Without the card, you can't play sports in the sports hall,
> or get into many Univerity social events.  I think we will even be able
> to use the card to electronically vote.

Well, then don't go to the sports hall or any social events.
Pay for the beer with cash even if it costs a few pennies more.
And, for Godzilla's sake, don't vote (it won't make any difference
anyway).

Open your own, competing services just outside campus limits.

Try to discredit the system. Spread (false, if so be it)
rumours about the selling of beer-drinking records to future
employers, about you knowing a guy who's father, a devote
Latter Day Saint working in the security department of a bank,
spanked the guy for his outrageous social activities, about
the guy who got unfriendly with a 'hacker' and suddenly ran
a bill for 2000 beers in a week, and so on. Yes, especially
stories about fraud and personal loss of money are good. Such
things scare people.

Asgaard

Thread