1996-11-30 - Re: IPG Algorith Broken!

Header Data

From: wichita@cyberstation.net
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: 08c3463ca2f5b11c1bb91962241409a3140543dc14c65c8f133ea3612b3b22d6
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.95.961130032229.19278L-100000@citrine.cyberstation.net>
Reply To: <c2aXXD25w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-30 09:26:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 01:26:31 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: wichita@cyberstation.net
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 01:26:31 -0800 (PST)
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: IPG Algorith Broken!

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com> babbles:

> > >"They" attempt this nearly daily by trying to taunt c'punks into
> > >evaluating the product for free.
> >
> > Then someone should not do it for free.  They should do it as a "data
> > recovery tool", advertise widely, make a few bucks, and show what a piece
> > of crap the IPG snakeoil is in the first place.

That is impossible, it is self evident that it cannot be done. There are
some people who are trying to break it, but they will obviously find that
is impossible.

> > Cracktools are starting to become a profitable business as more and more
> > snakeoil products appear on the market.  (Most are marketed to law
> > enforcement, but that will probibly change...)
> >
> > There is a buck or two to be made here.
>
> There's probably more money to be made by blackmailing the snake-oil
> peddler (pay me so I don't release the cracktool for your crap) than
> by selling the cracktools themselves.
>
> ---
Give up, no one can break the IPG system. That is a fact, not an opinion,
like some of the cypherpunks.

With kindest regards,

Don Wood

Thread