1996-11-09 - Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

Header Data

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
To: Matthew Ghio <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1490e9e5d811eefbfa35b9779033c5fedf120298ffa15730ae83a68d96225bba
Message ID: <v02140b03aea9c3897878@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:34:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:34:01 -0800 (PST)
To: Matthew Ghio <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

At 4:41 PM 11/8/1996, Matthew Ghio wrote:
> If, as is presumed in this discussion, society will become divided into
> two somewhat distinct groups of people, the crypto-anonymous group and
> the traceable-identifiable group, then the predictable outcome is that
> members of the traceable-identifiable group will become increasingly
> victimized by members of the crypto-anonymous group.  People who are
> easily identifiable and tracked are easy prey.

If people feel they have to go "underground" in order to protect
themselves, you will see near unanimous support for mandatory GAK.
This qualifies as a nightmare scenario for almost everybody, even
many of the readers of this list.

Universal traceability and identifiability is not necessarily a
consequence of GAK.  By universal I mean "available to everyone."
Were this to be a problem, the information would be confined to
"responsible" parties.  I think I can describe a way to do this in
nearly every scenario.  There is certainly no reason why driver's
license data need be on the Web.

Peter Hendrickson
ph@netcom.com

Thread