1996-11-09 - Re: Sliderules, Logs, and Prodigies

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 180e02e8c9b8cb2eea9980178166013bb588db16f4d6f3e0320087077b87381c
Message ID: <v03007800aea9a5cba79b@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03007803aea873ff3acc@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-09 03:11:20 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:11:20 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:11:20 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Sliderules, Logs, and Prodigies

At 8:19 PM -0500 11/8/96, David Lesher / hated by RBOC's in 5 states wrote:
>As a HP-35 buyer when they first appeared in '72, I sonn found it
>simple to explain RPN by using a basic rule of good composition:
>avoid passive voice.
>
>The "+" key is not, of course "plus" rather it is the active voice
>term "add" and such.. And all commands are "active voice" unlike
>a TI where some were...
>
>Of course, I soon found far too many people had no grasp of active
>vs. passive voice........

Agreed. I think I adapted to RPN so quickly (less than 30 minutes at the
university bookstore, which had H-P 35s on display) because of this.

The problem "((5 + 7) * 4) / 3)" is easily understood as:

5 enter 7 add 4 multiply 3 divide

Once one groks RPN, it clearly is a speed win over entering parentheses and
that stuff. For any of you who are doubters, RPN usually produces far fewer
errors in identical calculations than Algebraic produces (the user errors,
not the hardware).

I found RPN ideal for exploratory calculations, where the stack orientation
was just so "natural."

This is not RPNpunks, but it seems that many of the younger subscribers
here really have not been exposed to RPN calculators. It's really worth the
$40 or so to buy the cheapest H-P calculator that has RPN.

(Be careful--not all H-P calculators are RPN these days. They bowed to
market pressure several years ago and introduced algebraic entry on their
low-end models.)

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.