1996-11-13 - Re: More snake oil: ENIGMA

Header Data

From: attila@primenet.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 1f380ef068b6126dd70761c698d13ccd3c18ffe14a329142bdc47acca78a9e9b
Message ID: <199611130621.XAA11453@infowest.com>
Reply To: <v02140b07aeaed1f1f746@[10.0.2.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-13 06:20:19 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:20:19 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: attila@primenet.com
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 22:20:19 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: More snake oil: ENIGMA

In <v02140b07aeaed1f1f746@[10.0.2.15]>, on 11/12/96
   at 05:20 PM, azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear) said:

-.  Attila said:
-.
-.>        I wonder if anyone told them the data recovery teams can pull
-.>    multiple layers of data off a disc after it has been stripped?

-.I've often wondered how effective disk encryption programs, like DiskCrypt,
-.are at hiding data from a Class III adversary (e.g., NSA).  These programs
-.offer a means of 'cleaning' the data and directory space using randomized
-.patterns applied one or more times, but this might be insufficient for
-.removing data written slightly off-track by a previous write cycle.
-.
        I don't have any direct experience with 'serious' error
    recovery either; however, over a few years span listening to some
    my friends who have not come in from the cold,  I received the
    very definite reading the key is a differential measurement on flux
    and organization which expands the 'hearing' range exponentially
    -even if it is multiple destructive formatting.

        I written software programs for C2 and B1 clearance, including
    primitives which wiped as they went.  I used a pattern which
    shifted and repeated itself --not too ridiculous on unix if you are
    using type 2 read/write primitives.  messy? yes, in its own simple
    way.

        The software was certified by multiple fairly sensitive regula-
    tory agencies, plus the usual few for whom there is no name. you
    don't expect, and you do not receive, anything more than a yes/no.
    but it was in these circumstances I 'heard' the comments on recovery.

        and their ability to measure that differential gets better
    every year!   No, I do not consider 'erased' disks safe from a
    determined federal agency.  I keep sensitive stuff on zip drives
    which are removable, and easily crippled forever.  that and our
    principal [a]vocation: stronger cryptography than the hardware can
    bruteforce or trick.

--
    Cyberspace and Information are Freedom!
        FUCK your WIPO, too.