1996-11-09 - Re: HAPPY GUY FAWKES DAY!

Header Data

From: apoulter@nyx.net (Alan Poulter)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 27dae712027488d1554a6b19461d3619fb82e112d0fdeb493203d58fc57089bc
Message ID: <9611090717.AA00230@nyx.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 23:17:36 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: apoulter@nyx.net (Alan  Poulter)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 23:17:36 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: HAPPY GUY FAWKES DAY!

Being English I did a double take when I read the following:-

Sandy Sandfort wrote:-
> On this day in 1605 the Gunpowder Plot was foiled.  Guy Fawkes
> and his compatriots had intended to blow up Parliment.
>
> The English celebrate it because Guy Fawkes failed.
>
> I celebrate it because he tried.  :-)

I'm sorry Sandy, you are supporting the wrong side. Guy Fawkes
was not against government but just Protestantism. He wanted a
Catholic restoration in England enforced by foreign governments.
This would have involved many people being tortured and executed
for their religious beliefs.

It was the growing rift between Parliament and the Stuart Kings
over who should rule that lead to the English Civil War, Charles
the First being executed on the 30th January 1649 and the
end of government by birthright. In the period of the Commonwealth,
when Parliament ruled alone, all sorts of strange political ideas
appeared, like the one that everyone had a right to individual
freedom (Winstanley and the Levellers). All this would have been
derailed had Guy Fawkes succeeded.

I am more than happy to celebrate Guy Fawkes night with the kids
and give a penny for the guy.

Alan Poulter

Thread