1996-11-06 - Vulis profileVulis profile

Header Data

From: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 28215705f4c81ada7d8b4af277f908358b12f25a7a076f2706a5baa4a58cec3a
Message ID: <199611060457.FAA26857@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 23:10:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 23:10:54 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Vulis profileVulis profile

I had some free time this morning, and just for fun, thought I'd
create a brief Net profile of our friend Dr. Vulis.  Here's what
I found (sources included):

Dimitri Vulis
#4k Burns St, Forest Hills,NY 11375-3506
(718)261-6839
Source: http://www.yahoo.com (Four11 people search)

Birthday: December 29
Source: http://www.boutell.com/birthday.cgi/december/29

D&M Consulting Services (DM-DOM)
   67-67 Burns Street
   Forest Hills, NY 11375
   Domain Name: DM.COM
   Administrative Contact:
      Administration, PSINet Domain  (PDA4)
psinet-domain-admin@PSI.COM
      (703) 904-4100
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Network Information and Support Center  (PSI-NISC)
hostinfo@psi.com
      (518) 283-8860
   Record last updated on 31-Oct-96.
   Record created on 19-Jun-91.
   Domain servers in listed order:
   NS.PSI.NET                   192.33.4.10
   NS2.PSI.NET                  38.8.50.2
Source: InterNIC

Q: Who is Dimitri Vulis?
A: Dimitri is an XSoviet immigrant who is enrolled (or used to be
enrolled) in CUNY, and who is a computer professional involved
i.a. in unicode matters. The realspace Dimitri is a polite person
and a devoted family head.  It's cyberspace image is not nearly
as nice, unfortunately.

He harasses people all over the net with the most offensive sorts
of messages, and uses dirty tricks to retaliate to the people who
do get offended. Among his accomplished feats is a series of
articles about cat-eating dogs posted to rec.pets.cats (which
caused a wave of complaints and made him lost his CUNY account) ;
a series of porno binaries with obscene comments about his
opponents posted to math-related newsgroups (he lost another
academic account, at fordham.edu, after this scandal); and a
series of racist articles denigrating all aspects of romanian
life and culture which used to haunt the romanian newsgroup for
years.

Of course most of his net.bile is spilled over his fellow
XSoviets, particularly of Jewish origin (such as Michael
Verbitsky, Boris Veytsman, Vlad Rutenberg or myself, as well as
all Brighton Beach together); and a lot of stuff comes out from
his alleged aliases in bwalk.dm.com, aol.com and fly.harvard.edu.
Some of these aliases match the names of his opponents, as I
already mentioned.  Sometimes not only the names but also
addresses match (although paths don't).

Dimitri Vulis also advertises the capabilities of his site for
forging and cancelling articles. Sometimes he shrewdly comments
articles of his own saying : "This article is most certainly
forged, after all I spent a lot of time teaching you how to
forge... but I nevertheless like this article's content".
Source:
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~verbit/scs/cranks/from-Shlomo.html
(much more there too)

AUTHOR PROFILE: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr. Dimitri Vulis)
510 articles posted between 1995/06/29 and 1996/11/02.
71 % followups.
Number of articles posted to individual newsgroups (slightly
skewed by cross-postings):
          132 misc.jobs.misc
          67 news.admin.net-abuse.misc
          67 news.groups
          40 mail.cypherpunks
          32 nyc.food
          18 soc.culture.russian
          13 news.admin.misc
          12 nyc.general
          10 news.admin.censorship
          9 news.admin.policy
          8 alt.censorship
          7 alt.usenet.kooks
          7 soc.culture.pakistan
          6 alt.revenge
          5 comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
          5 soc.culture.soviet
          4 alt.sex.plushies
          4 sci.math
          4 sci.physics
          4 talk.politics.medicine
          3 alt.folklore.computers
          3 alt.security
          3 comp.lang.ada
          3 comp.security.misc
          3 sci.crypt
          2 alt.nocem.misc
          2 alt.sci.physics.plutonium
          2 aus.flame
          2 comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
          2 comp.unix.advocacy
          2 microsoft.public.netiquette
          2 soc.culture.israel
          1 alt.2600
          1 alt.anonymous
          1 alt.bible
          1 alt.computer.consultants
          1 alt.consumers.experiences
          1 alt.fan.bill-gates
          1 alt.fan.my-big-hairy-penis
          1 alt.privacy
          1 alt.shenanigans
          1 alt.society.neutopia
          1 aus.general
          1 comp.ai
          1 comp.mail.uucp
          1 comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
          1 comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup
          1 comp.sys.mac.advocacy
          1 humanities.language.sanskrit
          1 misc.entrepreneurs
          1 misc.invest
          1 news.newusers.questions
          1 nj.misc
          1 nyc.seminars
          1 rec.humor
          1 rec.motorcycles
          1 sci.psychology.psychotherapy
          1 soc.motss
          1 tor.general
Source: http://www.dejanews.com profile

Dimitri Vulis:
Contrib. post:
 whose obnoxious, derivative and not-very-funny Soviet emigre
jokes from Brighton Beach were a weekly feature about a year ago
on rec.humor . He ignored completely any requests to stop.
Eventually he started getting flamed in demotic Russian-quite fun
for those of us who could read it.
- Dan "And to think he felt it important enough to waste his two
hours of daily connect time on it" Case
--
 so what _is_ the deal with vulis?  is "russian emigre" a
codeword for "jew", or for "russian emigre", or for something
else?  (if i recall correctly, minor and now somewhat reformed
net.loon mikhail zeleny claimed rather convincingly that vulis's
posts contained certain tell-tale phrases which are highly
un-idiomatic in english ("dandruff-covered" was one of them, i
think) which were dead giveaways of classic pathological russian
anti-semitism.)  so is vulis russian?  an emigre?  a jew in some
sense?  self-hating?  maybe a self-hating russian jewish emigre
who hates only the jewish half of themself?  or maybe they hate
the russian half too?  are they now or have they ever been, while
residing in america, on the payroll of any branch of any soviet
or russian government?  did they stop posting russian emigre
jokes when the paychecks stopped coming?  are they a zhirinovsky
supporter now?  the most recent messages posted by vulis
that i have seen seem designed mainly to convince people that
both zhirinovsky and valery fabrikant are (russian?) jews.  (it's
very likely true in fabrikant's case, at least.)  maybe vulis is
a self-hating supporter of zhirinovsky and fabrikant?
--
Posts on soc.culture.soviet, and is apparently something of an
institution there; likes to stir things up, and to flame and/or

Dimitri Vulis's barcode font
ftp: ctan: tex-archive/fonts/barcodes/barcodes.mf
There is a mailing list, rustex-l, for discussion of typesetting
Cyrilic-based languages.  To subscribe, send mail to
listserv@ubvm.bitnet
containing the text
 SUBSCRIBE RUSTEX-L <your name here>
or mail Dimitri Vulis, DLV%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu [or
dlv@dm.com?]
Source: http://wsspinfo.cern.ch/faq/fonts-faq/metafont-list

Bar code fonts  ymir.claremont.edu      by Dimitri Vulis
[anonymous.tex.mf]
BibTeX eedsp.gatech.edu for MS-DOS  v99 by J. Demel and Dimitri
Vulis
Source:
http://www.clinet.fi/pd/doc/texts/TeX-FAQ-supplement_(part_2_of_3
)
(this FAQ is dated 10 May 93)

Server The files of type para used in the index were:
/u3/wais/mirror/cissites/cissites.txt A list of contacts for most
known organizations in the former Soviet Union who either have or
plan to have e-mail connections. Provided by the SUEARN-L list,
SUEARN-L@UBVM.BITNET. Keywords: USSR, CIS, Russia, Latvia,
Lithuania, Estonia, Baltic, Moscow, Leningrad, Siberia. The
original document is stored on
impaqt.drexel.edu:/pub/suearn/misc/cissites.txt and is available
for anonymous FTP.
>From the front matter: * The Authoritative Soviet E-Mail
Directory and Guide ** For more information, subscribe to the
SUEARN-L mailing list, or send e-mail to Michael Meystel or
Dimitri Vulis (c) 1992 All rights reserved
This file contains contact information (correct name / address /
phone / fax #... possibly e-mail address) for sites of interest
in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). We occasionally
get asked questions like 'What is the Russian name of IAS?' or
'What is the postal address of St. Petersburg State U's math
faculty?' or 'What does IPPI stand for?'. Over the years I've
collected a fairly complete electronic address book of addresses
of Soviet sites where mathematical research is done, which I
gladly share. Sergej Gelfand and Don Parsons have kindly
contributed their address lists (respectively, more math and
oncology). An even more complete version of such file, listing
sites of possible interest to people in other fields, and freely
available on the Internet, would be very useful to many. Please
send additions, corrections, suggestions, etc to: CISMAP@DM.COM I
can't acknowledge everything, but I will try to read every
e-mail. Dimitri Vulis )
Source: http://www.elvis.ru/wais/c.html

Thread