1996-11-13 - Re: Exon Countdown Clock and farewell messages

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
To: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Message Hash: 2a133b6ce81348c583aac928f1804d9e127062cf0e6e5562513d226fce23be55
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961113132041.26376B-100000@eff.org>
Reply To: <199611132008.MAA23543@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-13 21:22:13 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:22:13 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 13:22:13 -0800 (PST)
To: Sean Roach <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Subject: Re: Exon Countdown Clock and farewell messages

If Exon had understood the Internet, he would have wanted to control it
even more. Worse yet, his staff would have drafted a CDA more likely to
pass constitutional muster.

-Declan

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Sean Roach wrote:

> To Which, on Mon, 11 Nov 1996, I wrote:
>
> >> There is no irony here, Mr. Exon tried to control the internet for the very
> >> reason that he didn't understand it and one of his granddaughters did.
> >> Perhaps if he did understand the internet then he wouldn't be a threat.
> >> Remember, people fear that which they don't understand.
>
> To which, at 07:57 PM 11/12/96 -0800, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> >I disagree. I think people understand the printing press and still want
> >to control it. Morality police are morality police, no matter what the
> >medium or how well they understand it.
>
> A valid point, and Exon may have had designs of media control the whole
> time.  The methods he used and the arguments he stated, however, suggested
> to me, that he was someone who did not comprehend the technology.  Those who
> he was able to sway with the dossier of .GIF's certainly were ignorant, many
> of them were turned by that one display of images.

// declan@eff.org // I do not represent the EFF // declan@well.com //

Thread