1996-11-07 - Re: Pseudo-law on the list and libel

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 2a74b096fcf0cdd172d74c0307e81187fe9f18284aa1c1dc4a4c15ce7c5dc633
Message ID: <199611072010.MAA11330@netcom6.netcom.com>
Reply To: <v03007800aea7c8fe63ab@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-07 20:10:56 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:10:56 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:10:56 -0800 (PST)
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Pseudo-law on the list and libel

TCM
>(By the way, I include my ideological usual-ally Black Unicorn on this
>point. I'm chagrinned that he so quickly and on so many issues has made
>statements about filing lawsuits--for defamation, for "false advertising"
>(!!!!), and so on. Not only is this counter to the views many of us hold--I
>think I sense the zeitgeist of the list--but it is supremely ineffective,
>as none of these threatened lawsuits ever seem to materialize, thankfully.
>Using the threat of a lawsuit as a rhetorical debating strategy is not
>effective.)

heh, I find Unicorn's zeal to sue anyone for anything quite comical
and suggestive of a high degree of immaturity.

but as to your point, the recent Forbes article on Bidzos makes it
clear that weilding a legal sword alone can be used quite
shrewdly, strategically, and effectively.
the article is quite interesting in how it suggests
RSA was largely built on threatening to sue people. of course this
is slightly skewed, because RSA has done things like software
development that the article didn't mention.

actually the lesson seems to be that if you have a software
patent, the law can be your friend (esp. if you are a business),
but if you want to sue someone who calls you names, the law is not very
accommodating. sorry, Unicorn, maybe you can lobby to fix this
little deficiency. <g>

Thread