1996-11-19 - Re: Playing Cards - Caution!

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
Message Hash: 339f2c7cc523ef30dd695e78dca927225e1cc83835e4eb35ff9664c92c5e5838
Message ID: <3.0b36.32.19961119010045.00f72934@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 01:19:36 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 01:19:36 -0800 (PST)
To: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)
Subject: Re: Playing Cards - Caution!

At 08:01 PM 11/18/96 -0800, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>Here's why I now prefer dice: Dice are simple.  Each die throw can be
>made to be quite independent of all other die throws.  Even loaded dice
>may be used by throwing them repeatedly and adding the results mod the
>number of sides to the die.  Dice which are suspect may be studied by
>repeated throwing.  Non-independence can be more easily studied as
>it can be assumed that a throw of the die is, at most, related only
>to the previous throw and none before.

I used dice to generate my ATM access code for my last bank account.
(10-sided dice left over from my role-gaming days...)  The looks I got from
the bank personnel was pretty hillarious.  They had little to know clue
about guessable passwords or related issues.  (You would be amazed as to
how many people use birthday information and the like for ATM codes.)  But
then again, they though that the "bank at home" software was pretty secure
too...

---
|  "Remember: You can't have BSDM without BSD." - alan@ctrl-alt-del.com  |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano@teleport.com  |

Thread