1996-11-03 - Re: Discrete logs 1 [non-cryptography related annecdote] [NOISE]

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com>
Message Hash: 352f5948d371d734e8f3a0ca3bfd7ffc2ff2d4ae6407ea3a24de46b6bee418c3
Message ID: <327CD820.6408@gte.net>
Reply To: <19961103071134640.AAD224@localhost>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-03 17:37:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 09:37:28 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 09:37:28 -0800 (PST)
To: Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com>
Subject: Re: Discrete logs 1 [non-cryptography related annecdote] [NOISE]

Adamsc wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:16:26 -0800, Hal Finney wrote:
> >properties than regular logarithms, but I thought this bit of history
> >would spark some memories in old-timers and give a new perspective for
> >younger people.

[snip]

> The same thing goes on with SATs and especially SAT-IIs.   Some higher-end
> calculators, esp. HPs, have plugin cartridges which automate much of the
> basic work in chemistry, physics, etc.  I never saw anyone who used such
> things even get asked about it.  Do we even need social engineering with
> people this stupid?

Technology has a base, much like a pyramid.  When you add enough layers, you can't
find very many people who can traverse top to bottom and understand all of what's
in between.

I consider it a miracle when a student has the quality of consciousness to buck the
trend and get themself a quality instrument (such as an HP-48SX/GX), since once they
do that, they might be encouraged to explore further.

Thread