1996-11-18 - Re: HP announcement

Header Data

From: Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Message Hash: 37be48404028a3131dc25fb6da27650f828c7cca584fbeb31b209662dc232720
Message ID: <3290B876.5142@tivoli.com>
Reply To: <3.0b28.32.19961118103631.006b5260@ricochet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-18 19:28:26 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:28:26 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:28:26 -0800 (PST)
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Subject: Re: HP announcement

Greg Broiles wrote:

> HP has info on its new crypto stuff on the web now:

One of the subheadings in the white paper: "Toward a New Commercial
Order."  Ya gotta love it.

A lot of the security (that is, "security" from the point of view of
nervous Federales) seems to rely on certificates and tokens that are
supposedly spoof-proof (I guess).  Looks to me as if application
certificates will be rather difficult to protect from being "abused".
It's also not clear to me how they'd prevent my flying to Luxembourg,
getting a Policy token that allows any & all crypto functions, and
then flying my butt back to Singapore for an encryption party.

Mike M Nally * IBM % Tivoli * Austin TX  * How quickly we forget that
mailto:m5@tivoli.com mailto:m101@io.com  * "deer processing" and "data
http://www.io.com/~m101/                 * processing" are different!

Thread