1996-11-16 - Re: Censor John Gilmore – EFF is a disgrace!

Header Data

From: “George A. Stathis” <hyperlex@hol.gr>
To: rent_control@msn.com (Stephen Boursy)
Message Hash: 3c9ad5e5dba37aec5aed80cf294029b78ec95e1212ddd2079ba71fa4f5da2560
Message ID: <199611170206.AAA01013@prometheus.hol.gr>
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 14:09:11 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "George A. Stathis" <hyperlex@hol.gr>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 14:09:11 -0800 (PST)
To: rent_control@msn.com (Stephen Boursy)
Subject: Re: Censor John Gilmore -- EFF is a disgrace!

At 05:24 ðì 16/11/1996 -0500, Tim Scanlon wrote:

>Between
>the 2 lists & various people I see represented here, with all due &
>serious respect, you folks have GOT to have better, more important,
>and far more deserving issues to devote your time to. I would hope
>that you would take a few moments and think about those things, and
>consider acting appropriatly in light of those thoughts.
[...]
>And it's
>gotten way, way out of hand. I suggest that it might be better not
>to spam cypherpunks with this stuff, and to give it a rest.

>Tim Scanlon

I think the expulsion of Dimitri Vulis is HIGHLY on-topic inside the
Freedom Knights List.

As it happens, it is ALSO on topic in the cypherpunks list, no matter
how HARD you try to forget this.

After censoring Dimitri, you will also NATURALLY try to censor others
too, such as myself (receiving notices that I stop "cross-posting" to
the cypherpunks list).

However, you are a HYPOCRITICAL ASSHOLE, becayse you ALSO cross-post
to your own (cypherpynks) list. What you CLEARLY want is to HAVE
THE "LAST WORD" ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

This is typical of all censorship. If your request was SINCERE, you
would be the FIRST to NOT CROSS-POST IT to the cypherpunks list.

Oh Gods of Olympus!  :-)

>Stephen Boursy wrote, along with a horde of others with no lives:
>[lots of worthless crap snipped out]

You mean whatever you disagree with, or perhaps don't bother to read,
you dismiss as 'worthless crap'.

It's funny, this attitude. I find it philosophically inexcusable.
I never dismiss the opinions of others as "worthless crap" when they
are expressed eloquently. What I said instead is that "VERY important
ideas have been expressed from all sides". Perhaps you didn't notice.

>> When a list gets as big as that, it it no longer to be considered
>> a "mailing-list" but it is a _public_ forum.  The whole problem
>> here is the abuse of power by both the EFF and John Gilmore.
>>
>It's not an abuse of power. It was an effort to curtail inappropriate
>SPAM. Much like this entire topic has become non-crypto SPAM on the
>cypherpunks list.

You have begun REDEFINING "SPAM" according to your personal feelings
and opinions. "SPAM" as EVERYONE ELSE understands it, implies some kind
of _gain_ (e.g. from advertising) inside a posting.

Redefining "SPAM" is consistent with attempts to redefine other known
words as well. Like the word "Censorship", which has been redefined
to mean "ONLY official censorship".

The tendency of closed-minded internet communities to REDEFINE common
words as they deem fit, is RATHER WELL KNOWN, where I come from.

I am a dictionary maker by profession, BTW. (I write some of the
software for it, and run the business. OK, I also do spelling mistakes.
It's not my job to know everything, ya know! :-) :-) )

However, if you take my own opinions for instance, they are expressed
without ANY thought of gain (by definition impossible, since I don't
advertise anything. I write these texts at the intervals of a very
real life, involving a lot of swimming, and a lot of Research. When
my friends and I meet, we laugh a lot with the situation thousands
of miles across the ocean, where... EVEN a "cypherpunks" mailing list
has evicted someone forcibly. Rather typical, as it happens. Gives
you people a bad name you know...

>> The first time is the time when you lose all credibility, and there
>> is never any forgiveness for a plug-puller.
>
>All bullshit aside, this whole thing has NOTHING to do with crypto.
>And it has very VERY little to do with censorship either.

Which means you probably didn't read much of what was said anyway.
Typical...

George

Thread