1996-11-16 - Re: New Cryptography Regulations

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: 40cae9248c1bc6c32dd294134c4c518042a0177adf973f2bf8abf26ef76866cd
Message ID: <3.0b36.32.19961115211217.00dced24@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:20:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:20:00 -0800 (PST)
To: hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: New Cryptography Regulations

At 06:05 PM 11/15/96 -0500, hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu wrote:

>The main change is that from now on the decisions are to be made
>by the department of commerce and not by the department of state.
>
>This is probably good news since the commerce department has the
>interests of industry as its primary mission.

I am expecting them to use the Interstate commerce clause in the
Constitution to enable them to enact whatever rules they want without that
pesky "freedom of speech" thing getting in the way.  I am sure that any
commerce secretary that dare to loosen the export restrictions would
quickly find him/herself out of a job.

Clinton and Gore have both shown that they get arroused at the thought of
being able to read everyone else's e-mail and listen to their phone calls.
I don't expect them to do anything that would thwart that fetish. (Power is
the ultamite turn-on.  When you can pry into the details of every part of a
person's life, you have a great deal of power.  Clinton/Gore/etc have shown
no resistance to that seduction.)

I expect that this will add more bodies to the LaBrea ITAR pits, not take
any away.

>There is a third document I believe but its not yet been issued.

Waiting for the third shoe to drop?

---
|  "Remember: You can't have BSDM without BSD." - alan@ctrl-alt-del.com  |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano@teleport.com  |

Thread