1996-11-25 - Israel crypto restrictions

Header Data

From: Jyri Kaljundi <jk@stallion.ee>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4b876f4f5a9f96e8d9bdaac7f3444b7b2518cd3d80d9479a69c372b641776e55
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.961125190042.16124A-100000@nebula>
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:06:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Jyri Kaljundi <jk@stallion.ee>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 09:06:07 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Israel crypto restrictions

Does anyonw knoe about crypto export restrictions in Israel? The Crypto
Law Survey (http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/lawsurvy.htm) says that
there are some restrictions, but "their scope is not clear". Also I have
been iformed of occasions when a company in Israel does not export strong
crypto. Still I believe I have seen many programs from Israel that have
unlimited strong algorithms.

The real question is, why can't Checkpoint who manufactures the Firewall-1
sell DES version in Europe, but only in US and Canada. Elsewhere they use
a proprietary algorithm called FWZ (48-bit). I have not any analysis done
on FWZ so I don't think anyone is using it.

Jüri Kaljundi                         AS Stallion
jk@stallion.ee                        WWW ja andmeturvateenused
                                      http://www.stallion.ee/

Thread