1996-11-24 - Re: IPG Algorith Broken!

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: 51f8843ae0107c3db0716ca315469c7528d8a5943f3d0919414d3bd62abae453
Message ID: <3.0.32.19961124120423.00dc1358@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 12:20:29 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 12:20:29 -0800 (PST)
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: IPG Algorith Broken!

At 11:21 AM 11/24/96 -0500, Black Unicorn wrote:

>> > Use an anon. remailer and sign your posts.  Brilliant.  Just brilliant.
>
>Actually, rather clever if you're trying to estlablish reputation.  Just
>make sure you use the right key.

Reputation is not the only reason to use a "name" with an anon remailer.
Sometimes you want to post (and have a reputation) that is entirely
seperable from your "real life" persona.  Maybe you have a job where being
involved with "The Evil Cypherpunks(tm)" could result in hastles at work
(or even firing) if known.  (I recieved flack from one company I worked
with for posting here... Until they needed a remailer set up and someone to
explain how their software worked...  But that is another story.)

Cypherpunks is gated to a number of Usenet News servers.  (Teleport is a
good example.)  It is also archived in a number of search engines.
(Altavista if I remember correctly, is one of them.)  Someone who does not
want their words to come back any byte them might just use such a method to
protect themselves.

---
|              "Remember: You can't have BSDM without BSD."              |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan@ctrl-alt-del.com|

Thread