1996-11-19 - Re: Fuck You Dumb Cunt

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Stephen Boursy <boursy@earthlink.net>
Message Hash: 537d7c3527a62d9cb4efe46e25f8ba6c54df44cab8b50d5c0c614d6f51865133
Message ID: <32915780.27B0@gte.net>
Reply To: <199611182134.NAA08552@kachina.jetcafe.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-19 06:57:41 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 22:57:41 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 22:57:41 -0800 (PST)
To: Stephen Boursy <boursy@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fuck You Dumb Cunt

Stephen Boursy wrote:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Brian Davis writes:
> >> I'm especially sorry that some of you don't believe in property
> >> rights.

> > I believe in them, alright. It's just that they seem to be at odds
> > with freedom of speech.
> > They are at odds with a lot of other things as well, but that's
> > a different fla...er...discussion.

>   I believe the posession of property is a priv. to be taken
> away if abused.  There is no such thing as a 'right' to
> property--in fact the very notion seems absurd.

You've just lumped all possessions into a single category.  There's a
valid argument against private ownership of land when ownership of that
land can be (and usually is) moved from the people at large to just a
few people, then eventually to dictators, etc.

But are you suggesting that if I trade my labor for some material item
which was built with other people's labor, and that material item is
sufficiently portable that it doesn't have to occupy a significant
piece of real estate (i.e., a house, a large boat), *they* should be
able to take that material item away from me anyway on whatever pretext,
on the basis that possession of it is a *privilege*?  Is my paycheck,
given to me directly for my labor just a privilege?

Thread