1996-11-14 - Re: FCPUNX:Small “Hard” Problems Wanted

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: eli@gs160.sp.cs.cmu.edu
Message Hash: 5787cb6a464f28be9acedb3748603bf04733419627da10c74079f7c78bedbf0a
Message ID: <199611142220.OAA23433@netcom12.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:21:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:21:05 -0800 (PST)
To: eli@gs160.sp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: FCPUNX:Small "Hard" Problems Wanted

Eli Brandt <eli@gs160.sp.cs.cmu.edu> writes:

 > (I'm getting this this through fcpunks, so my reply is
 > going to you. If you reply, you can cc cypherpunks if you
 > want.)

Ok.

[snip]

 >> ... I plan to test it on reduced round DES, full 16 round
 >> DES, and some RSA problems of various sizes.

 > These are all in NP (though not necessarily NP-C), so you
 > can certainly solve them with SAT, but I'd be *very*
 > surprised if SAT were an efficient way to do it.  If
 > SAT-reduction beats the number field sieve at factoring, for
 > example, you've got a major research result.

Actually, I would expect any AI algorithm which has some notion
of convergence to beat all of the "combination of congruences"
factoring methods, which are essentially exhaustive searches,
albeit it under the image of some useful transformations and
homomorphisms.

SAT (boolean satisfiability) does not seem to illuminate
factoring or other cyptographic problems in any obvious way. Even
a prime implicant covering of a typical strong cryptographic
function would be mondo huge in terms of memory.  Crypto problems
map pretty nicely into circuit problems, however, and circuit
satisfiability seems to be a nice wedge with which to attack a
number of the most popular ones.  Of course, you can go back and
forth between circuit and SAT problems, but thinking in terms of
circuits allows you to add the correct additional variables to a
problem which would be gigantic if you did the output directly in
terms of the input bits.

I will wait to see if this thing munches through DES of various
rounds before claiming any "research results."

 >> I already have C code to map RSA and n-round DES problems
 >> into an appropriate circuit satisfiability problem

 > How big a SAT problem does an n-bit RSA or n-round DES
 > problem turn into?

Well - the typical DES S-Box requires between 130-155 2-input
logical operations to express its 4 bit output in terms of its 6
bit input if you basically construct it in the obvious no-brainer
way without attempting any clever optimization.

Throw in a few XORs, and you can wire 2 round DES in about 2,500
one and two input logical operations, and the full 16 round DES
takes about 25,000.  I'm sure this can be improved upon greatly,
if someone wanted to tweek the wiring diagram.

What I've done to convert DES to a circuit satisfiability problem
is to make a logical network with (56+64+64) input bits and 1
output bit. The input consists of (key,plaintext,ciphertext).  I
pass both the plaintext and ciphertext through the IP, and do
half the rounds on each with the appropriate subkeys.  Then I XOR
opposite 32 bit sections between them, OR it all together, and
complement the output.

This yields something which lights up if the key maps the
provided plaintext into the provided ciphertext and outputs zero
otherwise.  When it is instantated with a particular
plaintext/ciphertext pair, this diagram can be munched by the
previously mentioned algorithm to yield a possibly non-empty set
of keys.

RSA is a little bit more messy.  Given a modulus between 2^k < N
< 2^(k-1), you can construct a circuit which when instantated
with the modulus bits will light up if and only if the larger
of the two distinct primes is input.  The way I do this requires
only two multiplicative operations, one being a modular
reciprocal of an odd number modulo 2^k, and the other being a
multiplication.  Both of these are wired as N^2 algorithms,
using successive approximation, although near-linear algorithms
probably exist.

As a data point, a circuit which lights up when RSA-140 is input
can be done in about a million NANDs.  Someone has offered me
some time on a 64 meg ultraSparc to try some RSA problems, but I
am going to debug the C version on DES first.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread