1996-11-17 - Computer CPU chips with built-in crypto?

Header Data

From: Martin Minow <minow@apple.com>
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Message Hash: 6752c7bee41d8a11ab2ecddf6127e87edd491b10af4bb0fdc6999bf5c213224a
Message ID: <v03007805aeb4208db8aa@[17.219.102.27]>
Reply To: <199611161913.LAA01571@crypt.hfinney.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-17 18:51:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:51:18 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Martin Minow <minow@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:51:18 -0800 (PST)
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Subject: Computer CPU chips with built-in crypto?

In a note to cypherpunks, Hal Finney comments on the new crypto
initiative:

>It's also not clear what the hardware manufacturers get out of this.
>Their sales overseas have never been blocked.  There has been no demand
>for custom crypto hardware.  I don't see how they have been harmed by an
>inability to ship computers with built-in encryption hardware.  Granted
>there are some possible applications for such systems but I don't see the
>market demand which would drive this decision.

I'm not sure if I can answer this but, at last week's SF cypherpunks
meeting, an Intel engineer asked whether there might be any interest
in a computer chip with some sort of encryption mechanism built
into the chip. As I understand it, this chip would process an
encrypted instruction stream. I.e., it could not execute a program
unless the "key" for that program was first loaded into the chip.

An interesting idea: does anyone have more information?

Martin Minow
minow@apple.com

Thread