1996-11-18 - Re: Does John Gilmore…

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
Message Hash: 69f27a07bef6d19569e3095315640ae53f7897a6a95cf4c0bdd1ac7aeed7ccb5
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.961117200415.13668B-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <199611172116.NAA04343@kachina.jetcafe.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-18 01:05:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:05:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:05:54 -0800 (PST)
To: Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
Subject: Re: Does John Gilmore...

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Dave Hayes wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 13:16:14 -0800
> From: Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
> To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
> Cc: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org, cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Does John Gilmore...
>
> > The free market will ever be the only real path to free speech, because,
> > in essence, it is free speech.
> > Free speech does not, however, require that all speech be universally
> > broadcast to each and every citizen on the planet free of charge.  That's
> > "subsidized speech."
>
> Given that the free market rule is "he who has the money makes the
> rules", please explain how anything less than "subsidized speech" (as
> you put it) is anything close to free speech?
>
> [For those who's assumptions rule their perception: I am *not* arguing
> that all speech should be subsidized. I am merely pointing out that
> the organization that is spending the money to broadcast is
> controlling the speech, hence it is *not* free speech in terms of
> freedom or cost.]

Again, you confuse free speech with free broadcast.

--
Forward complaints to : European Association of Envelope Manufactures
Finger for Public Key   Gutenbergstrasse 21;Postfach;CH-3001;Bern

Thread