1996-11-30 - Re: Strong-crypto smart cards in Singapore and Germany

Header Data

From: Marc <marc@mtjeff.com>
To: whgiii@amaranth.com (William H. Geiger III)
Message Hash: 6d5bdd96ca0f5f52b4c471f932de4358dd2bf7220d3b5d10f05e46a08d96589d
Message ID: <199611302146.NAA07673@beowulf.got.net>
Reply To: <199611301740.LAA29497@mailhub.amaranth.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-30 21:46:47 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 13:46:47 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Marc <marc@mtjeff.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 13:46:47 -0800 (PST)
To: whgiii@amaranth.com (William H. Geiger III)
Subject: Re: Strong-crypto smart cards in Singapore and Germany

> P.S. For those of you dreaming of anonymous e-cash & the crypto anarchy of
> the future; do you really think the government & banking industries are
> going to give up controll of the curency regardless of what for it takes?

But its not a matter of "giving it up", its more "not being given it."
There is little control with cash now, only some if the serial numbers are
prerecorded and watched for, and even then not to a paint where they can
come stomp on you before you walk out of the mall. But I agree, it is
unlikely that banks would pass up the opportunity, all in the name of
"loss reduction" and "profit through sharing of demographics"

Marc
marc@mtjeff.com

Thread