1996-11-07 - Re: Censorship on cypherpunks

Header Data

From: Steve Edwards <SAlanEd@concentric.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 70356346ecac2edc7087a74a95b544c294c78c5f0632058cdc49522312964ac4
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961107005911.006d4348@pop3.concentric.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:57:24 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Steve Edwards <SAlanEd@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 16:57:24 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Censorship on cypherpunks

At 06:54 PM 11/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>  Except it's not very effective, is it, since he's still
>posting flames?  In any case, it's an admission on John
>Gilmore's part that libertarianism can't work without some
>measure of authoritarianism; the only argument is over _just how
>much_ authoritarianism we need.
>
>  I'm quite upset about this.  Up to now I was able to tell
>people that "there is at least one mailing list on the net that
>functions in a completely open manner".  No more.
>

>Will French  <wfrench@interport.net>

What has it got to do with libertarianism?  John Gilmore is not the
government, he just runs the list.  If we don't like what he does, we can
start a new list. I'm not sure that it was a good idea to remove Vulis, but
I don't believe that this single act reflects on any theory of governance.

SAlanEd@concentric.net, SAlanEd@aol.com,
http://users.aol.com/salaned/cyberplace.html

"Life, he himself said once, (his biografiend, in fact, kills him verysoon,
if yet not, after) is a wake, livit or krikit, and on the bunk of our
breadwinning, lies the cropse of our seedfather..."

Thread