1996-11-21 - Mass-market crypto phones

Header Data

From: Clay Olbon II <clay.olbon@dynetics.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7960f60d57946e68b1361754af9f35eecbcac2b29792e007894b25a29ea5e62c
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961121141010.006da9a4@ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 06:11:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Clay Olbon II <clay.olbon@dynetics.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 06:11:37 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Mass-market crypto phones

A while back, Eric Blossom posted a URL for a mass-market, phone encyrption
device (http://www.comsec.com/).  The point of this post is to posit a
scenario based on the implications of this product.  This is speculation
based on where I think such products should be heading.

I think we need to keep a couple of goals in mind.  The first, is to get
encrypting phones (or phone add-ons) into Wal-mart, K-mart, etc (where
probably most Americans now buy their phones).  The prices need to be low
enough that people will want to buy them (<$100?).  Is this technically
feasible?  The comsec device from the above URL already demonstrates the
needed capability.  Is the cost target possible?  My guess is soon, given
the lowering costs and increasing capabilities of current processors.

The second goal needs to be to push a similar product for cell-phones.  I
think this will be perhaps an easier sell, given the higher initial cost for
these phones, and their reduced security.  Perhaps a home device could be
sold with the cell-phone as a package deal, so that communications with the
"home base" (i.e your office, home, etc) would be secure.  With the rapid
growth in cell-phone sales, selling a package such as this might ensure a
larger user-base of home devices.

Given that these goals are met, I think widespread use of crypto over phone
lines would become almost inevitable.  However, the fun part would be the
introduction of such products.  The FUD coming from police, the government,
etc. would be amazing to behold.

        Clay

Clay Olbon			    olbon@ix.netcom.com
engineer, programmer, statistitian, etc.

Thread