1996-11-10 - Re: a retort + a comment + a question = [RANT]

Header Data

From: SUCRUM22at_INDY-ADP@smtp-gw.cv62.navy.mil
To: Dave Kinchlea <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7b182e42eab05109f8d510adfd6d69b93c81e82d7d4c77191121f896915fc269
Message ID: <9610108476.AA847691156@smtp-gw.cv62.navy.mil>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-11-10 12:50:05 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:50:05 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: SUCRUM22_at_INDY-ADP@smtp-gw.cv62.navy.mil
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:50:05 -0800 (PST)
To: Dave Kinchlea <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: a retort + a comment + a question = [RANT]

dave kinchlea wrote:
>As said in "Hair" (the movie), "Don't do it for me man, 'cause
>if the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't do it for you!"

>It's a lie anyway, you do it for yourself.

That's an _easy_ judgment to make (and i definitely have to stop
adding anecdotes from my life in these things!), but you missed the
point - the freedoms the Cpunks diligently try to preserve (or seem to
want to create...) are protected _by_ the military.  who was it that
said:       "law, without force, is impotent"  -?

keep in mind that even "bad" laws have to be enforced.  you can scream
all you want about "good, strong" cryptostuffs, but if the phone lines
are slashed, the satellite links are down, the elcerticity is off and
you've got a foreign soldier waving a .45 around -  just how are you
going to boot up that pretty little computer and make it encode
information for you, much less get it anywhere?  anarchy implies
ruthlessness - you going to practice cryptostuffs from a prison cell?

was i assuming that you've read the book and/or seen the broadway
play, "Hair"?  OHHHHH - i'm sorry - you saw the _movie!_ shame on me.

a calculated risk based on the possible consequence of an action
is better than a haphazard one based on poor judgment or ignorance
Don't confuse my views with those of the DoD or the United States Navy

Thread