1996-11-08 - His and Her Anarchies

Header Data

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7ef783b5746d3a9d930f62970ecfb0518b02ff731f50f7c04a94a75b35d7401d
Message ID: <9610088474.AA847483743@smtplink.alis.ca>
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:09:27 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:09:27 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: His and Her Anarchies

Copyright c 1996, The Globe and Mail Company r

U.S. election reveals his and her politics
Educated women have different agenda

By Graham Fraser
Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - Bill Clinton's re-election has shone a spotlight on a
widening difference in views between men and women in the United States,
particularly among those with a university education.

"Men and women, if college educated, agree about very little," Celinda
Lake, a Democratic pollster, told a conference organized by the
Brookings Institution yesterday. "Men and women would have elected a
different president, a different Senate, and a different House of
Representatives," Ms. Lake said.

She pointed out that "men and women are coming to some pretty different
conclusions" about the role of government and the importance of social
programs.

Polling has shown that women believe the government can play a positive
role in solving social problems, while men feel that government is a
problem, and that it is a good day when they have not been hurt by it,
Ms. Lake said.

"On our side of the aisle, we're beginning to wonder what a college
education does for a man," she said.

http://web.theglobeandmail.com/web/cgi-bin/
DisplayPage?SITE=web&KEY=961108.GlobeFront.UGUYSM

Thread